Leicestershire Holiday Activities and Food Programme - 2021
A Message from Marcus Rashford MBE
Letter from Marcus Rashford MBE (PDF, 75 Kb)
Holidays Together: Holiday Activities & Food Programme Winter 2021
Leicestershire County Council, working with Active Together (formerly LeicesterShire and Rutland Sport), are coordinating the Department for Education funded Holiday Activities & Food Programme, across Leicestershire in 2021.
The Council is supporting Leicestershire schools, Voluntary and Community Sector organisations and other out of school/holiday activity organisations, to deliver holiday club provision to children living in Leicestershire who are eligible for free school meals.
The Holidays Together: Holiday Activities and Food Programme is specifically targeted to offer holiday activities to school aged children (5 to 16 years) who are eligible for benefits-related Free School Meals.
For the Winter 2021 HAF programme, applying organisations will be expected to offer provision for four days (Monday 20th December 2021 to Thursday 23rd December 2021).
The aim is that the children who attend the provision will be supported:
- to eat more healthily over the school holidays;
- to be more active during the school holidays;
- to take part in engaging and enriching activities;
- to be safe and not to be socially isolated;
- to have greater knowledge of health and nutrition; and
- to be more engaged with school and other local services.
Update Guidance from the DfE for the Winter HAF Programme
In recognition of the possible challenges posed by the weather, the continuing uncertainty around Covid-19 as well as the levels of demand from families over the winter HAF period, the DfE have amended the HAF guidance for delivery over this period (as below) to allow condensed delivery (e.g. over 2 days) or a mixed model of delivery:
We expect face-to-face provision to remain a central element of the HAF programme at Christmas, and in the first instance we would encourage you to offer four days of face-to-face holiday clubs where that is possible.
However, if necessary, we are also content for you to offer a blended programme of both face-to-face provision alongside high-quality food hampers and activity packs providing it meets our expectation of a minimum of 4 days' worth of provision/support.
If you are unable to deliver 4 days of face-to-face provision across your settings, an alternative approach, meeting our minimum expectation of how your provision might be delivered is:
- Two days of face-to-face provision - Our expectation is that all children taking part in HAF this Christmas should receive a minimum of two days of face-to-face provision.
- This could be similar to the HAF provision delivered at Easter and in the summer.
- It could also be, for example, a Christmas fayre where children and their families are invited along to take part in activities together, prepare a festive meal together and socialise. At these events, we expect that those attending should eat high quality, healthy food and take part in some fun activities.
- It could also involve a day trip, day out or a cultural enrichment experience, providing that this includes a healthy meal as well as an element of physical activity, for example, a walk.
- Alongside this, we would expect that children who attend the above face-to-face provision also receive the equivalent of a minimum of two further days of support in the form of high-quality food hampers and activity packs.
Please contact the HAF team (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further advice and guidance if you would like to apply to deliver a condensed or mixed delivery model.
HAF Winter Programme - Application Process and Timescales
The application process for the Winter HAF Programme 2021 is now open.
The deadline for applications is 5.00pm on Friday 22nd October 2021.
The application form for the Winter programme along with detailed guidance notes are available below.
For more information, or if you have any queries about the programme, please email: email@example.com
HAF Programme Winter 2021 - Application Form (MS Word, 559 Kb)
Introduction to the Holiday Activities and Food Programme - Winter 2021 (MS Word, 517 Kb)
Data Protection Declaration HAF Programme 2021 (PDF, 93 Kb)
Pre-Application Q&A Session - Weds 13th October 2021
Prospective applicants are able to attend an informal pre-application Q and A session on Wednesday 13th October from 6.00 -7.30pm.
This session will include further information on the HAF Summer Programme and will also provide an opportunity for organisations interested in applying to ask any questions about the programme.
Further information on how to book a place is available on the Active Together website.
You can also download a series of Questions and Answers below.
Winter HAF Pre-Application Questions and Answers (PDF, 308 Kb)
Updated HAF Standards
The standards for the HAF programme were revised and updated at the end of April 2021.
The document below provides a summary of the updated standards, in terms of the expectations from organisations who are applying to deliver summer holiday HAF programmes.
This includes standards relating to the following areas of provision:
- Enriching Activities
- Physical Activities
- Nutritional Education
- Food Education (for families and carers)
- Signposting and referrals
- Policies and procedures
Organisations planning to apply to the Leicestershire HAF Summer Holidays programme are advised to read the updated standards document to ensure their proposed provision is able to meet these standards.
Revised HAF Standards (PDF, 144 Kb)
For more information about the Healthy Activities and Food Programme 2021, you can contact the individuals below:
Children and Families Partnership Manager
Leicestershire County Council
Tel: (0116) 3058055 or 07904 547924
Jo M Fisher
Childcare Sufficiency and Development Team Manager
Early Years Inclusion and Childcare Service
Tel (0116) 3056566
Communities, Policy & Resilience
Leicestershire County Council
For advice on provision of meals to School Food Standards:
Leicestershire Traded Services
Tel: (0116) 3057313 or 07983 433137
Website: LTS Catering Services | Leicestershire Traded Services