Good Neighbour Schemes
Good Neighbour Schemes are run by local volunteers who provide day to day support for other residents who may need help on an occasional or regular basis. For older people, this support may enable them to live independently in their own homes and communities for longer and reduce feelings of isolation and loneliness
They help people remain connected within their communities to live enriched lives. It is important to note that Good Neighbour schemes vary from each community and that they work better if tailored to the communities which they operate.
How does the Scheme Work?
Any member of the community in need of help can call the scheme telephone. The coordinator on duty will then identify and contact a volunteer suitably skilled for the task at hand.
What tasks can someone get help with through the scheme?
- Household Tasks
- Pet Care
- Collecting Shopping
- IT Support
- Letter Writing
What is involved in setting up a Good Neighbour Scheme?
- Speak to the community
- Form a steering group and volunteer base
- Set up a constitution, bank account, insurance cover and phone
- DBS checks for volunteers -
- Launch the Scheme
How much does it cost?
The only charge for most Good Neighbours scheme is for petrol and parking. There is no charge for transport within the parish. All other services are free.
There are minimal costs to the actual running of the scheme, which can be supported by community fundraising activities and small grants.
Areas where Good Neighbour Schemes currently run in Leicestershire
- Billesdon: www.billesdonparishcouncil.org.uk/findmynearest,741720.html
- Bottesford: www.facebook.com/BottesfordParishGoodNeighbourScheme
- Croft: www.croftgoodneighbours.com/
- Desford: www.desfordgns.org.uk/
- Sapcote: www.sapcotegns.co.uk/
- Sharnford: www.sharnfordparishcouncil.co.uk/good-neighbour-scheme
- Thurcaston & Cropston: www.facebook.com/TandCGNS/
- Whetstone: www.whetstonegns.org.uk/home/
- Woodhouse & Woodhouse Eaves: www.woodhousegns.org.uk/
Who can help?
For more information, help and support to set up a Good Neighbours Scheme please contact: Info@ruralcc.org.uk Tel: 0116 2662905