Places of Welcome
Places of Welcome is a growing network of local community groups providing their neighborhoods with places where all people feel safe to belong, connect and contribute. They are run by local community groups who want everyone in their neighborhood to have a place to go for a friendly face, a cup of tea and a conversation if and when they need it. With over 350 across the UK, each Place of Welcome is unique but all provide a place for people to connect with one another, find belonging and offer gifts and skills that interest them.
Places of Welcome take place in a variety of different venues including churches, community centers, libraries, mosques, temples and other community group buildings across the UK.
The network is for any group seeking to respond to the needs of their community to:
- Provide a safe and welcoming place for all, open regularly and consistently (same time, same place, every week, accessible)
- Provide basic local information
- Provide free refreshments (tea & coffee & biscuits/toast as minimum)
- Support and encourage people to build their confidence by encouraging them to share their gifts and skills and get involved
- Be actively present and listen to one another.
The only requirement is that the group is not exclusive – that anyone would be made welcome there, regardless of whether they were part of the predominant group or not.