Tackling Loneliness Together
A summit on action to tackle loneliness and social isolation in Leicestershire
Friday 30th November 2018
College Court Conference Centre, Leicester
Leicestershire County Council and the University of Leicester's Unit for Diversity, Inclusion and Community Engagement (DICE) jointly hosted the Leicestershire Tackling Loneliness Together Summit.
The Summit brought together over 90 people representing a range of national and local initiatives, people and organisations who are working to tackle loneliness and social isolation.
Highlights included keynote speeches from Neil O'Brien – MP for Harborough and vice-chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Loneliness; Prof Manuela Baretto from Exeter University and co-lead author of the BBC survey into loneliness; and Olivia Field from the British Red Cross - member of the Jo Cox Commission on Loneliness and secretary to the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Loneliness. There were also national and local examples of the great work already going on breakout groups discussing the issues of loneliness and social isolation in Leicestershire and how we can work together to get better at tackling them. Themes covered in the breakout groups included leadership, measuring progress, catalysing action, sustainability and working together.
Agenda, Presentations and Links
- Final agenda from the Summit (PDF, 272 Kb)
- BBC Loneliness Experiment conducted by our keynote speaker Professor Manuela Barreto (Exeter University)
- Presentation: British Red Cross (PDF, 1 Mb)
- Video: Geordie men opening up about combatting loneliness
- Presentation: Derbyshire County Council's Community Connectors (PDF, 289 Kb)
- Video: Norfolk County Council’s “In Good Company” Scheme
The County Council has launched its communications campaign on tackling loneliness in Leicestershire.